IU football playing in Outback Bowl, falls short of New Year’s Six

<p>IU football head coach Tom Allen sways with his team before running out of the tunnel Nov. 16, 2019, at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pennsylvania. IU will play the University of Mississippi in the Outback Bowl at 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 2. </p>

IU football head coach Tom Allen sways with his team before running out of the tunnel Nov. 16, 2019, at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pennsylvania. IU will play the University of Mississippi in the Outback Bowl at 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 2.

IU will play the University of Mississippi in the Outback Bowl at 12:30 p.m. on January 2.

The Hoosiers were ranked No. 11 in the College Football Playoff’s final rankings, falling one spot short of earning an at-large bid to a New Year’s Six bowl.

IU was given the bid as the No. 3 team in the Big Ten, behind No. 3 Ohio State and No. 14 Northwestern.

Ole Miss finished its season with a 4-5 record. 

This is the Hoosiers’ second consecutive year in a bowl game. Last year, IU lost to the University of Tennessee 23-22 in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl.

IU’s last bowl win came in 1991, a 24-0 victory over Baylor University in the Copper Bowl.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments