politics

Rep. Trey Hollingsworth projected to win third term, defeats Democrat Andy Ruff

Hollingsworth win.jpg

Incumbent Trey Hollingsworth is projected to win his third term as the U.S. representative for Indiana’s 9th District, the Associated Press reports.

Hollingsworth, who has held this office since 2017, defeated his opponent Andy Ruff, a Democrat and former Bloomington city council member.

"Since you first elected me, we have worked together to make sure our voices are heard in Washington, to support policies that put American families first, and to expand opportunities for Hoosiers to succeed," he said in a Facebook post. "Now is not the time to back down from the fight for our values, and I look forward to working together for another two years." 

As of 11 a.m. Wednesday, Hollingsworth is leading the district with about 67% of the vote. If these results hold, Hollingsworth will have expanded his margin of victory from 2016 when he defeated Liz Watson.

While Hollingsworth has a wide lead in the district as a whole, the picture was different in Monroe County. Hollingsworth received around 36% of the vote in Monroe County. Ruff won the county with around 60% of the vote, according to unofficial results from the Monroe County Elections Board.

Hollingsworth supports traditional Republican policies such as lower tax rates and abortion restrictions. As a representative, Hollingsworth has served on the monetary policy and trade subcommittee, oversight and investigations subcommittee and the capital markets, securities and investment subcommittee.

He is also the founder of Hollingsworth Capital Partners, a multi-million dollar real estate investment firm.

On his campaign website, Hollingsworth pledged he would not serve more than eight years in Congress. If he keeps his pledge, the 2022 election will be his last campaign.