politics

Public defender Kara Krothe wins seat for Division 8 court

krothe win

Kara Krothe, who served for 16 years as a public defender in Monroe County, has won her election with around 58% of the vote for the Division 8 circuit court, according to unofficial results from the Monroe County Elections Board. 

In the IDS voter guide, she expressed support for a few reforms in the criminal justice system. 

“Sixteen years as a public defender has shown me that the system we have in place does not work well for all citizens which results in a lack of trust in our judiciary,” Krothe said. “It is important that we elect judges who recognize that there are inequities and who work to make our criminal justice system more equal for all people. Systematic changes are necessary, and I hope to be part of those decisions in future years.”

She specifically pointed to a few of Monroe County’s progressive programs as some she would continue to support. 

“Pretrial release is a pilot project that is designed to eliminate monetary bond for those accused in criminal cases,” she said. “Monetary bond puts an unfair burden on those who lack resources, and it leads to an unfair administration of justice. Our pretrial release program focuses on connecting pretrial defendants with services like mental health or substance abuse treatment to help them avoid future contact with the criminal justice system.”

Krothe also expressed support for a mask mandate during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“Public health experts recommend wearing a mask. As long as science continues to support that recommendation, I support it,” she said. “The courts are considered an essential service, therefore it is important to find ways to safely conduct court business including the use of technology to conduct hearings remotely, when possible.”