crime & courts

UPDATE: Multiple fraternities given cease and desist orders following Halloween

Delta Upsilon

Following a Halloween party that occurred at the house on Saturday night and into Sunday morning, the Delta Upsilon fraternity has been given a cease and desist order from IU. 

Delta Upsilon was added to IU’s cease and desist list Wednesday. IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said Thursday the cease and desist was in response to an event IU Police Department responded to on Halloween. 

Shannon Bunger, IUPD’s deputy chief, said the school’s police responded to a noise complaint around 1 a.m. Sunday at the Delta Upsilon house. Upon arrival, the officers saw approximately 45 people in the house’s courtyard unmasked and not social distancing. Bunger said officers told the house president to shut the party down and the incident was reported to the Dean of Students. 

That resulted in the cease and desist order being placed on the house. 

Delta Upsilon is the sixth IU greek organization to be placed on cease and desist this school year. Sigma Alpha Mu was added to the list during the afternoon on Oct. 31. Sigma Alpha Mu was in violation of public health regulations according to Carney.

***

UPDATE: 7:09 p.m., Friday, Nov. 6

In an email to the Indiana Daily Student, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney, addressed the cease and desist orders given to Sigma Pi and Sigma Chi. Carney said Sigma Pi is suspected to have violated COVID-19 policies after a large gathering at the fraternity house.

Carney did provide details on the situation at Sigma Chi, nor did the Sigma Chi fraternity in its statement mentioned in the earlier update to this story.

"IU is following normal procedures as we respond to a situation we’re currently investigating," Carney wrote in the email in reference to Sigma Chi.

***

UPDATE: 5:40 p.m., Friday, Nov. 6

The Sigma Chi and Sigma Pi fraternities were also placed on IU's cease and desist list Friday afternoon. There was no immediate reason given for either fraternity having been given the cease and desist order. 

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney did not immediately respond to request for comment from the Indiana Daily Student. The Sigma Pi fraternity also did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

The Sigma Chi national headquarters — which both received a cease and desist order from IU and had most of its activities suspended from the national headquarters — gave the following emailed statement to the IDS.

"Sigma Chi International Fraternity is investigating allegations which indicate that some members in our Lambda chapter at Indiana University may have violated Sigma Chi policies. As a result, we have placed the chapter on interim suspension until the investigation is concluded and an appropriate response can be determined."