business & economy

Kilroy’s on Kirkwood did not reopen after talks with city, aims to reopen in 2021

Kilroys.jpeg

Kilroy’s on Kirkwood was set to open Oct. 24 for the first time since the bar closed in March because of the coronavirus pandemic. Then, the popular bar reversed course citing “extenuating circumstances.”

The decision was made after consulting with city officials, co-owner Kevin Fitzpatrick said in a letter emailed to the Indiana Daily Student.

“We felt that it was the right thing to do, notwithstanding the fact that other bars and restaurants in Bloomington took a different approach,” he said.

Ahead of its anticipated October reopening, Kilroy’s said it was planning to close at 10 p.m. instead of 3 a.m. The statement also said the bar’s operations plan was approved by the Monroe County Health Department.

Monroe County entered orange status Wednesday under the Indiana State Department of Health's color-coded map. In response, the county health department announced new restrictions on restaurants, including a closing time of 1 a.m.

If the county were to enter red status, additional restrictions may be added.

The bar's reopening plan included a walk-through with the Monroe County health inspector and was approved twice. The letter did not include an estimated timeframe for reopening aside from sometime in 2021.