Student hit by truck Tuesday died from injuries

<p>The sun sets Oct. 1 behind a memorial to Daniel Plebanek at the corner of Third Street and Indiana Avenue. Dr. Plebanek was given a posthumous Ph.D. after he was killed in an accident last week.</p>

The sun sets Oct. 1 behind a memorial to Daniel Plebanek at the corner of Third Street and Indiana Avenue. Dr. Plebanek was given a posthumous Ph.D. after he was killed in an accident last week.

The IU student who was struck by a pickup truck Tuesday at the intersection of Third Street and Indiana Avenue succumbed to his injuries and died, IU Police Department Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger said. 

Daniel Plebanek was a 27-year-old Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email. 

Plebanek was confirmed dead around 8 p.m. Wednesday night at IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, Bunger said. 

Plebanek was hit after a box truck traveling west on Third Street ran a red light and hit a pickup truck going north on Indiana Avenue. The pickup truck began to spin near the northwest corner, where a Circle K is located, and hit Plebanek. No one in the vehicles was injured.

This story will be updated.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments