sports   |   football

3-star safety Aubrey Burks commits to IU football

spiufburks062620

IU football head coach Tom Allen sways with his team before running out of the tunnel Nov. 16, 2019, at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pennsylvania. Aubrey Burks, the No. 56 safety in the 2021 class, announced his commitment to IU on Friday. Colin Kulpa

IU added three-star safety Aubrey Burks to its class of 2021 after he announced his commitment on Twitter on Friday afternoon.

Burks chose IU over the University of Louisville, Georgia Tech University, the University of Pittsburgh and West Virginia University.

The Auburndale, Florida, native is listed as the No. 56 safety in his class, and the No. 757 player overall, according to 247Sports.

While Burks is listed as a safety, he played linebacker for Auburndale High School last season and was named First Team All-County. He recorded 63 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, six sacks, three forced fumbles and two interceptions. 

Listed at 6 feet and 180 pounds, Burks projects to play the husky position for IU in the team’s 4-2-5 defensive scheme with his hybrid play-style.

Burks is the Hoosiers’ 10th commit in the class of 2021 and the team’s second safety signing.

More in Sports