Motion by the attorney general Friday could keep convicted murderer John Myers in jail

Police escort John Myers on Oct. 30, 2006, after a jury found him guilty of the 2000 murder of IU sophomore Jill Behrman at the Morgan County Courthouse. Myers will be released June 15 on house arrest until a decision is made on his appeal.

John Myers, the man convicted of the 2000 murder of IU student Jill Behrman, is slated to be released from prison June 15 awaiting an appeal decision. An emergency motion filed Friday by the Indiana Attorney General’s office, if approved, could stop his release.

A May 29 order by U.S. District Court Judge James Sweeney approved Myers' request to be released until the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals makes a decision on the validity of his 2006 trial. The order cited Myers' fears of contracting COVID-19 while in prison, as he is immunocompromised. 

Marilyn Behrman, Jill Behrman’s mother expressed worries of his release. 

“The idea that he may be released soon makes me uneasy,” she said. “Even though he will be on house arrest at his mother’s house, I am not sure he can obey the rules.” 

She said she is feeling hopeful the latest appeal will be approved, keeping him in jail. 

In Sept. 2019, Sweeney ordered that Myers be released, stating he received ineffective counsel from attorney Patrick Baker during the 2006 trial. The order gave a 120-day deadline for his release, which was later extended based on a subsequent order from the Indiana Attorney General. 

The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals heard the appeal against the September order on May 26. It could take two to six months for a decision. 

Myers has served almost 14 years of the 65-year sentence for shooting Behrman while she was out riding her bike May 31, 2000. Her remains were found in 2003 in a wooded area in Morgan County, Indiana.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.