sports baseball

IU baseball’s Elijah Dunham signs contract with New York Yankees

spiubasedunham061820.jpg

After going undrafted in last week’s 2020 MLB draft, junior outfielder Elijah Dunham announced his decision to sign an undrafted free agent contract with the New York Yankees on Wednesday via Twitter. 

Dunham will forego his final two years of eligibility with the IU baseball program. 

“It’s time for me to take my opportunity and bet on myself,” Dunham said in the tweet. “I’m extremely confident in my abilities and know the Yankees can continue to develop them at the highest level.” 

The Hoosiers played in 15 games before the season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. Dunham started every game and led IU with 59 at bats, seven doubles and a .493 on base percentage. 

He was also second on the team with a .390 batting average, while tallying 12 runs, 23 hits, 33 total bases and a slugging percentage of .559. 

“Also a huge thanks to Coach Mercer, the unbelievable staff, and teammates at IU who have helped me come to this point,” Dunham said. “I don’t know where I’d be without them.” 

He appeared in 94 games for the Hoosiers during his career and earned 75 starts. He had a batting average of .312 with 25 doubles, nine home runs and 48 RBI. In 2019, he was named a third team All-Big Ten honoree.

As a sophomore, Dunham was selected in the 40th round of the 2019 MLB draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates before he decided to return to IU for the 2020 season.

"Elijah is one of the best workers I've ever coached, a world class competitor and an even better person," IU head coach Jeff Mercer said in a Wednesday release. "I wish him all the best on his professional journey and will be his No. 1 fan."