Former IUFB player Chris Beaty killed in shooting during Indianapolis protest

spiufbbeaty060120.jpg

Chris Beaty, a former IU football player and local Indianapolis businessman, was shot and killed over the weekend as violence erupted in downtown Indianapolis during a protest in response to the death of George Floyd.

Beaty, 38, was identified by the Marion County Coroner’s Office as the victim of a shooting reported late Saturday night at the intersection of Talbot and Vermont streets in downtown Indianapolis. According to IndyStar, Beaty suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Protests across the country were sparked after Floyd was killed on May 25 by police officer Derek Chauvin in Minneapolis.

"I'm at a loss for words," IU head football coach Tom Allen said in a statement. "Since I returned home to coach at Indiana, Chris embraced me, encouraged me and supported me! His passion for life and Indiana football energized me every time we were together. He was one of our first alumni that displayed his unwavering support for what we are building here at Indiana and how we are building it. I am so heartbroken for his family and he will be deeply missed by all those that were blessed to call him a friend."

Beaty was the founder of the event promotion company Fresh Marketing. He was also formerly an operating partner of Revel nightclub, general manager of Dunaway’s Palazzo Ossigeno and the assistant general manager of 6 Lounge.

Beaty, alongside fellow entrepreneur Joe Babish, recently launched Worldwide Masks, a company that sells one-piece masks that are designed to be comfortable and more fashion-forward while helping people protect themselves during the coronavirus pandemic.

Beaty graduated from Cathedral High School in 2000 where he was a three-time state champion on the school’s football team, winning the 4A state championship in 1996, 1998 and 1999. Beaty went on to play football at IU from 2000 to 2003.

IndyStar reported that one suspect is in custody, but police wouldn’t confirm which shooting the suspect is related to.

“R.I.P. Chris Beaty,” former IU basketball star Eric Gordon tweeted early Monday morning. “Was a great guy, we had some good times at IU. You will be truly missed bro.”