IU wrestling signees tabbed as All-Americans

<p>IU wrestling coach Angel Escobedo cheers on IU on Feb. 2 at Wilkinson Hall. Two members of the 2020 IU wrestling recruiting class have been named to Wrestling USA Magazine&#x27;s All-American team.</p>

IU wrestling coach Angel Escobedo cheers on IU on Feb. 2 at Wilkinson Hall. Two members of the 2020 IU wrestling recruiting class have been named to Wrestling USA Magazine's All-American team.

IU wrestling signees Derek Gilcher and Santos Cantu were named to Wrestling USA Magazine’s All-American team last week.

The duo, both part of the 2020 recruiting class, posted a combined record of 293-32 in their high school careers.

Cantu, a four-time Oregon state champion, originally committed to Ohio State in early September before flipping his decision to IU in November.

In 2018, Cantu captured a gold medal in Freestyle wrestling at the UWW Cadet Pan American tournament. He also earned a bronze medal in the Greco-Roman competition that same year.

Cantu, who wrestled at 195 pounds last year, could provide much-needed support at 197 pounds in the Hoosier lineup. In dual matches last season, IU wrestlers only won one match in that weight class.

Gilcher, a three-time state champion out of Detroit, Michigan, chose IU over Big Ten rivals Maryland, Michigan State and Wisconsin.

At 160 pounds this season, Gilcher became the first wrestler in Detroit Catholic Central High School history to rack up seven total state championships. He won four team titles to his three individual crowns.

IU’s 2020 recruiting class also includes Jacob Moran, the younger brother of 141-pound rising junior Jonathan Moran, and Nico Bolivar, the younger brother of 141-pound rising sophomore Eddie Bolivar. Andrew Irick will also join the program.

The coaching staff rounded out the group with the addition of Indiana state champion Robert Deters in late April. Deters concluded his career at Castle High School with a 45-1 record at 170 pounds in his senior season.

The additions will look to help the Hoosiers improve on their 2-10 overall record last season. Lineup contributors Jake Hinz, Jake Kleimola and Davey Tunon all graduated. Liam Cronin, who advanced to the NCAA championships last season, is transferring to Nebraska for his final year of eligibility.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments