business & economy coronavirus

Pizza X to partner with Baked!, add cookies to menu

Entpizzaxbaked041920.jpg

Although Baked! of Bloomington temporarily closed for business last week due to health concerns related to the coronavirus, fans of the shop will still be able to get fresh cookies while in quarantine. Pizza X announced in a statement on its website that starting Monday, the store would be adopting Baked! for the next couple months and adding cookies to its menu.

According to the statement, three of the bakery’s staple cookie flavors will be available: chocolate chip, chocolate white chocolate chip and peanut butter peanut butter Chip.

A 3-pack of cookies will be sold for $5.50, a 6-pack for $8.75, a 9-pack for $11.95 and a baker's dozen for $14.95, all of which are a few cents more expensive than their original prices.

Pizza X owner Jeff Mease said the collaboration is beneficial for everyone involved: Baked!, who will be able to continue selling their product, customers, who will be able to buy their favorite cookies and Pizza X, who will be able to sell a tastier dessert option than what they previously had available. He said he is excited to partner with a brand with similar values.

"They're a unique brand like we are," Mease said. "They care about quality, they do things right. After the shutdown ends we're just going to see, maybe there's more stuff we can do together."

The Bloomington cookie shop announced April 11 that it would be temporarily closing Easter Sunday for the safety of its customers and employees in a statement posted to the Baked! Instagram account. The post acknowledged the support they receive from the community, their staff and essential workers.

“We might not be front-line essential, but all you essentials have shown us every single day how much you rely on us,” the post said, “and how much difference something as simple as a cookie break can make nowadays.”

Less than a week later, Baked! Co-owners Jason Voegeli and Jeremy Ness posted a video announcing they would be partnering with the pizza chain.

“Stay healthy, stay safe, we’ll see you guys soon,” Voegeli said in the video. 

“And don’t forget to get Baked!” Ness added.