IU names Scott Dolson new athletic director

dolson copy.jpg

Scott Dolson was named the new IU athletic director Tuesday, according to a release from the university.

He was appointed by IU President Michael McRobbie upon the recommendation of a 14-member committee chaired by IU Vice President Bill Stephan. The appointment is subject to approval by the IU Board of Trustees at its April meeting. 

Outgoing athletic director Fred Glass announced in December that he would be retiring at the end of the academic year. Dolson has been IU’s deputy director since 2009, the same year Glass was hired. 

"I am honored and humbled by the opportunity to lead the Indiana University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, a place I have served for more than two decades and have long had a tremendous love and passion for," Dolson said in the release. "I want to thank President McRobbie, search committee chair Bill Stephan and the entire search committee for the trust they have shown in me to lead the department into a very promising future.”

Dolson is an IU alumnus that graduated in 1988 and spent seven years directing the IU Varsity Club before serving in the deputy director role. 

"Given his background and experience in helping to oversee the recent growth and development of nearly every major area of IU's large athletics operation, Scott is extremely well-positioned to lead our intercollegiate athletics program and further its longstanding and storied traditions of excellence as well as build on Fred Glass' outstanding achievements of the last 10 years," McRobbie said in the release.”

Dolson is expected to fully assume the athletic director role in late summer.