bloomington

Bloomington seeking applicants for farmers market advisory council

Camarketcouncil030520.jpg

The Bloomington Parks and Recreation department is seeking applicants for 10 open positions on the Farmers’ Market Advisory Council, according to a March 3 press release from the city. Applications are due at 5 p.m. April 3.

Marcia Veldman, the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market coordinator, said the open positions are for people who will represent the needs and wants of market customers to the parks and recreation department staff and the Board of Park Commissioners.

There are 11 regular voting members on the market advisory council. Six who represent vendors, and five represent customers, according to the press release. Four customer positions and six vendor positions are available.

Applicants for the customer positions must be Bloomington residents. Applicants for the vendor positions do not have to be Bloomington residents. The Board of Park Commissioners reviews the applications and appoints new members.

The term for each member of the market advisory council is two years, and members can serve three consecutive terms. These positions are open because the current members' terms are up.

“We are looking for people who are regular market customers and who have a strong interest in local food security and supporting local farmers, growers and food artisans,” she said. “Also those interested in helping ensure the market is welcoming and diverse.”

Veldman said the department has been actively promoting the position opening with organizations that represent people of color in hopes to make the council more diverse.

She said the parks and recreation department has already begun receiving applications.

The market advisory council works with the community and governmental agencies such as the Board of Park Commissioners to help improve the farmers market, according to the press release. Meetings are the third Monday of every month at 5:30 p.m. in City Hall.

Those who are interested can apply online or they can contact Veldman at 812-349-3738 for an application.