arts iu cinema

Watch '9 to 5' and more at the IU Cinema this month

IU Cinema

This month, the IU Cinema will feature movies such as “The Adventures of Prince Achmed,” “Making Waves: The Art of Cinematic Sound” and “9 to 5.”

The 1926 animated movie “The Adventures of Prince Achmed” will be shown at 4 p.m. Jan. 18. This film tells the story of Prince Achmed who, after foiling a wicked sorcerer, sails into a series of adventures on the back of a flying horse. Tickets for this event are free for children 12 and younger.

The documentary “Making Waves: The Art of Cinematic Sound,” which will be shown at 7 p.m. on Jan. 18, focuses on the important role of sound in cinema. The film introduces some movie sound designers, such as Walter Murch and Ben Burtt, and the directors that worked with them, including George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. A discussion on the film will follow the screening.

The cinema will “9 to 5” at 1 p.m. Nov. 19. In the film, three female coworkers – played by Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda and Dolly Parton – all face problems in the workplace because of their misogynist boss, Frank M. Hart Jr. When Hart disappears under suspicious circumstances, the women begin to run the business, eliminate the toxic work place environment and promote women’s roles in the work place. However, things get complicated when Hart's executive assistant questions his boss's disappearance.

Other films to be screened in January are, in chronological order, “Juliet of the Spirits,” “I Was Born, But...,” “The Harder They Come,” “Widows,” “Constantine” and “Mallrats.” Descriptions for each screening in January and the rest of the spring semester can be found on the cinema's web page

Tickets,for all shows this semester are now available online, at the IU Auditorium box office or in the IU Cinema lobby one hour prior to each screening. Tickets for the majority of shows are $4 but range in price from free to $8.