student life

The Globe restaurant reopens in IMU amid dining renovations

Caimufood012820.jpg

The Globe restaurant reopened Monday in a new location on the second floor of the Indiana Memorial Union while other dining options continue to undergo renovations.

The Globe is now in the KP Williams Room. It will serve the same lineup of restaurants as last semester including Juannitas, Bivi’s Tamales and Armit India. 

The renovations are part of the Bicentennial Campaign, and most of the dining options are expected to reopen in January 2021, according to an IU press release. Sugar and Spice and the Chocolate Moose are expected to reopen this summer in a shared space in the IMU. The total project is budgeted for $10.2 million.

The renovations will modernize the 1990s-style food courts into something more current with student expectations and desires, IMU Executive Director Hank Walter said.

"The renovation will make the place look fantastic and bring it up to trend and make the flow better and make the community building better," he said. "People can sit down and interact with each other."

Despite the closures, other dining options are available for students. The Tudor Room now serves breakfast as well as lunch and dinner on the first floor of the IMU. The Circle Cafe offers breakfast, lunch and dinner in the lobby. The Starbucks and Union Market will also remain open during renovations. The Union Market serves items from Sugar and Spice and the Chocolate Moose. 

IU food trucks are also available for students. Gloriana’s and Stripes food trucks are provided by IU dining and serve a rotation of local vendors including La Poblana on Tuesdays, JD’s Taste of Chicago on Wednesdays and Pilis Party Taco on Fridays. 

IU has also recently contracted GrubHub to provide online ordering and delivery from IU Dining locations. Some current GrubHub options include Circle Cafe, Starbucks, Bookmarket Eatery and Collins Eatery. 

"I'm just really excited about what we'll have in January 2021 compared to now,” Walter said. “We'll have better concepts that faculty, students and staff want to see and a warmer environment that people want to be in."