student life

Interim director of LGBTQ+ Culture Center announced

cadirector121519.jpg

Bruce Smail, public speaker and HIV/AIDS activist, has been announced as the interim director of IU’s LGBTQ+ Culture Center.

Smail will be in this position for at least the next three years. He will replace Doug Bauder, who has led the culture center since its creation 25 years ago. According to a press release, he previously served as deputy director of the Black AIDS Institute in Los Angeles, the director of the Cross Cultural Center at the University of California-Davis, the director of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Resource Center at the University of Colorado and a diversity education specialist at IU.

“I am very excited about the opportunity to return to Indiana University,” Smail said. “Cultural centers play a unique role on college campuses by targeting, supporting and advocating for specific communities, as well as helping the campus understand the community and build strong allies for that community.”

Smail is qualified for his new position based on his past positions as well as his character, said Yolanda Treviño, assistant vice president of strategy, planning and assessment for the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs.

“Bruce has the passion and heart to make a difference," she said in the press release. “He is someone who will bring to the forefront the many voices that are too often silenced. His experiences and commitment will prove instrumental in helping to lead us into the future as we create new opportunities to ensure students successfully reach their educational goals.”

In the press release, James C. Wimbush, vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs, said Smail will be an important addition to the IU community.

“Bruce is an outstanding advocate for critical issues involving the LGBTQ+ community,” he said. “He will play a critical role in leading the assessment and planning necessary to meet the needs of students and the IU community for the next 25 years.”

In this position, Smail will implement programming to address sexual orientation, gender identity, intersectionality and social justice, according to the press release. He will also work with alumni and donors and will oversee the culture center’s budget and staff members. As a special assistant to the vice president, Smail will assess all five of IU-B’s culture centers as well as work with the other IU campuses to coordinate university-wide LGBTQ efforts.

Smail said in the press release he is prepared for his new position.

“My own life experiences and various career positions have prepared me well for this work and for the work that lies ahead to enhance diversity, equity and community for all,” Smail said.