bloomington

Attorney Ken Nunn donates over $2.5 million across Bloomington

canunn121519.jpg

Personal injury lawyer Ken Nunn recently reached over $2.5 million in donations to organizations in Bloomington. Nunn is from Jefferson, Indiana, and the founder of the Ken Nunn Law Office. 

Nunn dropped out of high school when he was 16. He went back to school a year later and then attended the IU Maurer School of Law in the 1970s. In honor of his struggle, Nunn awards local students with scholarships in order to aid their education through the Ken Nunn Law Office Scholarship. Nunn has been awarding this scholarship for nearly 20 years. 

“If I didn’t go to law school at IU, I don’t know what prison I’d be in,” Nunn said. 

For IU, Nunn had contributed $2.25 million for the renovation of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, including the addition of handrails. Since attending IU and living in Bloomington, Nunn has only missed one IU men’s basketball game, so that he could have heart surgery. 

Nunn is also a proud supporter of the Boys and Girls Club. Recently, Nunn donated almost $10,000 to the Bloomington chapter of the club. On top of this, for two years Nunn partnered with the Bloomington Fire Department to provide children at the Boys and Girls Club with bicycles and helmets, according to a press release from his office. 

Nunn is a supporter of the Boys and Girls Club because they provide resources to kids who grow up in similar situations to himself. When Nunn was a child he began working from a young age in order to help his mother support them. They were evicted from homes about a dozen times in 10 years, Nunn said. 

“Giving back to kids who grow up just like I did, it makes me feel good to give them things I didn’t necessarily have,” Nunn said. 

Nunn has also donated over 125 trauma packs to the officers of the Bloomington Police Department and surrounding counties to use in emergency situations. Trauma packs allow officers to quickly stop bleeding if an officer is hit with a bullet. 

Nunn also contributes to holiday fundraising like Shop with a Cop and the Red Cross. One year, Nunn contacted the Red Cross and asked to be put in touch with someone who would not be getting any Christmas presents so that he and his wife could buy them dinner and a few gifts. 

“Of course no one charity is better than another,” Nunn said, “I’m just glad to give what I can.”