IU men’s swimming and diving to take on Louisville, Texas this weekend

spiumsdpreview110619

Swimmers in the men's 400 free relay kick off their starting blocks Nov. 2 at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatics Center. IU will compete against No. 11 University of Louisville and No. 2 University of Texas at Austin starting Friday. Anna Brown Buy Photos

No. 4 IU men’s swimming and diving will take on No. 11 University of Louisville and No. 2 University of Texas on Friday at 1:30 p.m.

The Hoosiers are 4-0 after defeating both No. 6 Michigan and No. 23 Iowa last weekend. 

Taking down No. 2 Texas could put IU in a great position, as it could garner enough votes to propel the Hoosiers into one of the top-three spots in the nation.

Even if IU does not defeat Texas, it could still stay within the top-10 teams if they top Louisville. 

The Louisville Cardinals are currently 2-1. The team started its season with a win against Xavier University with a score of 177-81 but then fell to No. 10 University of Tennessee 150.5-149.5. Louisville rebounded and beat the University of Notre Dame 168-132 heading into Friday’s meet.

Although the Cardinals fell to the Volunteers, it was a highly-contested meet, as the Vols only won by one point. The Cardinals will be racing to try and top as many of the Hoosiers’ and Longhorns’ best swimmers. 

The Texas Longhorns have stayed a steady No. 2 throughout the season so far with a 2-0 record. Texas has defeated both No. 7 Texas A&M University, 181-11, and newly-ranked No. 17 University of Kentucky, 179-109. 

The Hoosiers have the opportunity to shake up the rankings by beating the Longhorns’ top swimmers. 

In Texas’ home opener meet Oct. 25 with Kentucky, the Longhorns claimed the three top spots for the men’s 1,000-yard freestyle. However, first place was claimed by Texas freshman Jake Foster with a time of 9:06.20, beating second place by more than three seconds.

IU sophomore Mikey Calvillo claimed second in the men’s 1,000-yard freestyle against Michigan last weekend. Although he lost to the Wolverines, Calvillo’s time was 9:05.93, which would put him in contention to win against the Longhorns.

More in Sports