Instant Recap: IU extends shutout lead over Rutgers to 35-0

spnsc091619.jpg

*FINAL SCORE: IU moves to 4-2, 1-2 in Big Ten play, with a 35-0 win over Rutgers, now 1-5.

*Penix subs out of the game and Peyton Ramsey will begin taking snaps at QB on IU's third drive of the third quarter.

*TOUCHDOWN INDIANA: Sampson James makes up for his first half fumble with a second half rushing touchdown. IU's lead is up to 35-0 over Rutgers.

*Stevie Scott snaps off a 31-yard run. He has 11 carries for 164 yards but no touchdowns. He's averaging almost 15 yards per carry this afternoon.

*TOUCHDOWN INDIANA: On 3rd and goal, Penix completes a 10-yard pass to Ty Fryfogle to extend the Hoosier lead. Justus' extra point makes it 28-0 IU in the third quarter.

*Penix remains in the game at quarterback as the second half begins. On IU's third play of the opening drive, Stevie Scott rips off a 57-yard run. The sophomore running back has eclipsed the 100-yard mark for the seventh time in his career.

*END OF FIRST HALF: IU leads Rutgers 21-0. Whop Philyor's 162 receiving yards is a career-high.

*Whop Philyor makes back-to-back big plays--54 yards and 31 yards-- to put IU inside the redzone.

*Cam Jones busts through the offensive line untouched for a 9 yard sack. Rutgers goes three-and-out. IU starts at their own 22.

*Rutgers can't take advantage of the turnover and punts down to the IU 3 yard line.

*Sampson James fumbles the ball. Rutgers recovers and returns the ball to the IU 48 yard-line.

*END OF 1ST QUARTER: IU leads Rutgers 21-0

*Penix throws an interception to Rutgers cornberback Damon Hayes. Rutgers takes over on their own 43 yard-line.

*Cam Jones blasts through the line of scrimmage to stuff Rutgers' fourth-down play and force a turnover on downs. IU takes over on their own 39 yard line.

*Rutgers running back Isaih Pacheco rushes for 28 yards and then gets hit while out of bounds to tack on another 15 yards. Rutgers longest play of the game so far.

*TOUCHDOWN INDIANA: Penix throws a 19 yard touchdown to Nick Westbrook to cap off a 5 play, 59 yard drive. IU leads 21-0 with 8:08 remaining in the 1st quarter.

*TOUCHDOWN INDIANA: Penix throws a 14 yard touchdown to Peyton Hendershot to complete a two play, 70 yard drive. IU leads 14-0 with 12:14 remaining in the 1st quarter.

*Michael Penix Jr. swing pass to Whop Philyor goes for 56 yards. IU down to the 14 yard line.

*Rutgers goes three-and-out. IU takes over from their own 30 yard line.

*TOUCHDOWN INDIANA: First play of the game Demarcus Elliot with the sack and forced fumble as Reakwon Jones scoops it up and runs it back to the end zone. IU leads 7-0 with 14:50 remaining in the 1st quarter.

*Senior offensive lineman Coy Cronk comes out to midfield on crutches with the other captains for the coin flip. Rutgers won the toss and elects to receive to start the game.

*Against Rutgers, IU has won the last three meetings. The Scarlet Knights, however, took the first two games between the schools in 2014 and 2015.

*IU has not won a Homecoming game since 2010 against Arkansas State University. Its last Homecoming win against a Big Ten opponent came in 2009 against Illinois.

*The Hoosiers, 3-2, and the Scarlet Knights, 1-4, are both after their first conference wins of the season today.

*Hello and welcome to today's Instant Recap for IU football's 2019 Homecoming game against Rutgers.