crime & courts

Bloomington police still looking for cause of Sunday shooting

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said police found at least 30 empty shell casings at the scene of the early Sunday morning shooting on South Grant Street. 

The shooting left a 23-year-old man and 18-year-old woman wounded. Pedigo said the man was transported Sunday by helicopter from IU Health Bloomington Hospital to IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. 

Pedigo said officers saw one gunshot wound on the man, but he complained of pain in other areas. 

No one has provided information on what started the shooting, Pedigo said. The shooting occurred at a large party thrown by a group of four people. The group looks for venues and throws large parties promoted through social media.

Pedigo said body camera footage showed college-aged people at the scene.

The hosts of the party told police around an hour into the party, they became aware of a drunk, argumentative man waving a gun around, Pedigo said.

Pedigo said the hosts identified the man as Gabriel Alsman, the 20-year-old arrested for criminal recklessness with a firearm, among other charges. The Glock 26 used by Alsman was previously reported stolen.

The hosts told police Alsman was kicked out of the party. They said he then caused trouble outside and had to be restrained by his friends.

Pedigo said two groups of acquaintances started arguing back and forth outside. He said the groups separated and walked away from each other. Witnesses told police when the groups broke up, they heard gunshots. 

Pedigo said officers asked nearby people for a possible reason for the shooting. He said they told officers there were two opposing groups from Indianapolis that got into an argument.

A witness gave officers a physical description of a shooter that was seen fleeing the area. An arriving officer spotted the suspect running with a handgun. The officer caught the suspect, identified as Alsman, after chasing him on foot, according to a BPD press release.