OPINION: The AFC South is the NFL’s most wide open division

spnsc091319.jpg

Before Andrew Luck’s retirement, the Indianapolis Colts looked like the clear favorite to represent the AFC South in the NFL playoffs and possibly make a deep run. Now the division has no clear frontrunner, nor do they have a definitive worst.

This Colts roster top to bottom is probably one of the best they’ve had in recent memory. With Deon Cain’s return and the additions of Devin Funchess and Parris Campbell, their receiving core looks rejuvenated and ready to take some weight off the shoulders of T.Y. Hilton.

Their run game looked very good to start off the season, with running back Marlon Mack leading the NFL in rushing yards week one with 174 yards. Mack is not a high-profile name in the league, but behind Indy’s stout offensive line, a few more performances like that wouldn’t be shocking.

Quarterback Jacoby Brissett’s ability to lead this offense is a huge question mark at this point, but he did perform well in week one. The Colts will look to build off a disappointing lose to the Chargers in overtime to kick off the season.

The Houston Texans are another team in the division who had a crushing loss in week one, watching a 58-yard field goal pass through the uprights as time expired.

The Texans have easily the best quarterback in the division in Deshaun Watson now that Luck is gone, but whether or not their lackluster offensive line can keep him healthy and protected will be a big concern for them going forward. 

Deandre Hopkins is a top five receiver in the league without question, but after him, their pass catchers are less than impressive. Running backs Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson are a nice one-two punch out of the backfield, but only time will tell if this offense has enough weapons to compete.

The Tennessee Titans oddly enough were the only team out of the AFC South to pick up a win in week one. Against what was supposed to be a very high powered Browns offense, the Titans only gave up 13 points and forced quarterback Baker Mayfield into three picks.

Quarterback Marcus Mariota didn’t blow anyone out of the water in week one, but if he can continue to have solid performances, it looks like he’ll be able to rely on his defense to get them some wins. 

Running back Derrick Henry is a very solid workhorse out of the backfield, and it’s likely that the Titans offense is going to go as he does this season. 

The Jacksonville Jaguars are already in a tough spot just as the season is getting started. In the first half, newly acquired quarterback and former Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles broke his left collarbone and is slated to miss some significant time.

In comes rookie Gardner Minshew, who would go on to finish with an 88% completion percentage in his first NFL action. Foles going down is obviously not ideal, but it looks as though Minshew should be able to keep the ship afloat.

The Jags gave up 40 points in week one, but against the Kansas City Chiefs, that isn’t too bad. In the last few years Jacksonville has been full of defensive talent and I don’t expect that to change anytime soon.

If I had to pick, the Colts would still be my favorite to win the division even without Luck. The Texans have the most star power but their playoff chances are based on if they are able to keep those stars protected.

The Titans looked really good week one, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re able to slip into a wild card spot. The Jaguars will look for their defense to win them some games while their quarterback is out.

The beauty of the AFC South right now is that any team could win the division.