arts jacobs school of music

Jacobs wind ensemble to perform first concert of the season

entwind092419.jpg

The Wind Ensemble, conducted by Rodney Dorsey, is the top band in the IU Jacobs School of Music comprised of full woodwind, brass and percussion sections. The ensemble will perform at 8 p.m. Sept. 24 at the Musical Arts Center. Admission is free for this event.

Ensemble members auditioned for their placements last month soon after most students moved in. There are a mix of graduate and undergraduate students in the group since they are selected from the same auditioning pool in August.

For its first concert, the Wind Ensemble will perform “La procesión del Rocío, Op. 9” by Turina arranged by Reed, “Symphonies of Wind Instruments” by Igor Stravinsky revised in 1947, “Suite française, Op. 248a” by Darius Milhaud, a modern piece by Roshanne Etezady titled “Anahita” and, lastly, another modern piece by James Stephenson’s “Symphony No. 2” alternatively known as “Voices.” “Symphony No. 2” will be performed alongside doctoral student and soprano vocalist Paulina Francisco from the music school. The piece was published in 2016 and composed in honor of Stephenson’s mother who had recently passed away.

Freshman Sydney Ballensky performs as the assistant horn player among four others in the ensemble. She and her peers have been rehearsing since Sept. 3 and have become acquainted with the music during their 13 rehearsals.  

“The rhythms are more abstract compared to the more modern pieces and tend to bring out different timbre colors that aren’t necessarily used in music by Mozart or other classical composers,” Ballensky said. “Rather than just moving through the notes, they add this extra touch of brass - glissandos - that make it more unique and it’s something you can’t really achieve without having the instrument selection they have.”