news   |   crime & courts

Indianapolis man arrested for string of Bloomington car thefts

The Bloomington Police Department arrested a 27-year-old Indianapolis man Friday evening for the alleged theft of eight cars out of the parking lot at The Fields apartment complex. 

BPD Lt. John Kovach said Aaron Johnson owns Integrity Cleaning, a Bloomington cleaning company hired by The Fields to clean the apartments before new tenants moved in for the start of the school year.

Johnson told police while working at The Fields, he overheard that international students leave their expensive vehicles in the apartment’s lot over the summer.

He told police he looked for vehicles with expired plates in the lot to identify ones that belonged to international students. He then hired a tow company to transport the vehicles out of the parking lot to various locations, including streets in Indianapolis.

Vehicles began to disappear from The Fields parking lot at the beginning of August.

An individual whose car had been stolen reported to police he received an unidentifiable phone call from someone who claimed they would return the vehicle for $800. 

A stolen 2015 white Dodge Charger was found at the College Mall in Bloomington and the 2015 silver Audi A3 was found on Downey Avenue in Indianapolis.

During the investigation, BPD detective Chris Scott spoke to the manager of The Fields and discovered they had no towing contract and did not call to have any vehicles towed.

An employee at The Fields told BPD he remembered seeing a tow truck and gave them the name of the company.

Another tow truck was spotted in The Fields parking lot Aug. 22. BPD arrived and questioned the driver. 

The tow truck driver said he was called by an individual to pick up a 2014 white Audi Q5 from Rock Maple Drive in Indianapolis and return it to The Fields. 

The driver later called BPD to tell them he was called again to return a 2018 white Dodge Challenger to The Fields.

Scott posed as a tow truck driver and accompanied the driver to pick up the vehicle. A female came out to pay the driver $250 for the tow.

After being arrested, the woman told Scott that Johnson was driving around a red Pontiac Grand Prix. He was later found by police and arrested. 

Seven out of the eight stolen vehicles have been recovered. A 2013 white Chrysler 300 valued at $15,000 has not yet been recovered. 

More in News