sports   |   men's soccer

Zac Brown steps down as IU men’s soccer assistant coach

cutZacBrownAsstCoach

Zac Brown Assistant Coach, Goalkeeping/goalkeepers Matt Begala Buy Photos

The last two seasons for the IU men’s soccer program has included a pair of College Cup appearances, a Big Ten regular and postseason title, only two regular-season losses and 38 wins overall.

One of the reasons why IU was able to build such a dominant team in recent years was Zac Brown, who joined the program in 2017 as a volunteer assistant coach. He was deemed the main goalkeeper coach the same year All-American goalie Trey Muse joined the program.

In the two seasons with the program, Brown helped coach IU and Muse to a collective 33 shutouts and 0.395 goals against average. 

Brown guided Muse to 18 shutouts, a .260 goals-against average, a .903 save percentage while playing 2416:18 minutes, despite being only a true freshman at the time. The 18 shutouts tied the NCAA and IU single-season record while setting the Big Ten mark.

Last season, Muse was named the Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year and First-Team All-Big Ten unanimously. He was also the only goalie to be named a MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist, and Muse also earned First-Team All-American honors by United Soccer Coaches.

Brown joined the IU staff after serving as an assistant coach at Northern Illinois for the 2016 season.

Going forward, Brown has taken a position with the COPA Soccer Training Center as the director of goalkeeping/camps.

“People define places," Brown said in a statement on Twitter. "A truly bittersweet day as I say goodbye to Bloomington. This program is known for its success, but the people are special. Thank you for two unbelievable years!"

More in Sports