F.Y.I.: Key terms to know while you're adjusting to campus life

filler.jpg

Syllabus

A written schedule that lays out the upcoming semester for a class.

Professors will usually include this on the course’s online website and will base their class schedule off of it for the entire semester. 

Office hours

Times where students can visit a professor at their office to ask questions about grades, homework or other class-related subjects. Professors will usually include the times and locations in the syllabus.

Memorial Union

The largest building on campus where students can go to eat, study, buy books and more. The Indiana Memorial Union’s address is 900 E. 7th St.

Intramural

Recreational sports organized within a school. Students can sign up and play various sports on set times and days throughout the week.

SRSC 

The Student Recreational Sports Center is located on Law Lane. A membership here is included in your tuition, and activities here range from classes to weightlifting and cardio rooms. 

Dead week

The week of class before final exams. Not really dead, but makes you feel that way.

AI

An associate instructor, usually a graduate student, who assists professors in lectures and discussions.

RA 

Resident assistants are upperclassmen, peer leaders that live on each floor of residence halls. The resident assistants can assist with adjusting to college, give you advice and more.

IUPD vs BPD 

The IUPD is the University’s police department while the BPD is the city of Bloomington’s police department. 

Little Five  

Abbreviation for the Little 500 bicycle race which takes place in April. There are two separate races, one for the men’s teams and one for the women’s teams. 

UITS  

University Information Technology Services. UITS provides computer and technology-related services to those on the IU campus, uits.iu.edu.