IUPD Chief Jill Lees shares safety tips and advice for school year start

leesweb.jpg

Moving to a big campus such as IU can pose many new opportunities and risks for students. The Indiana Daily Student talked to IUPD Police Chief Jill Lees about ways to stay safe at IU.

IDS: Do you consider IU and Bloomington safe?

Lees: Yes, but I think that people have an opportunity to be victimized anywhere if they don’t follow general safety rules. Safe communities and areas can turn not safe if you put yourself at risk. Crime cannot occur without opportunity.

What can people do to not put themselves at risk?

1. Remember the LifeLine Law. Make sure you get help for someone that’s in crisis.

2. Go out in groups and leave with that group.

3. Confirm your Uber.

4. Charge your phone. You are in class all day and go out Friday night without charging your phone. What if something happens? You can’t call someone or call 911 if your phone is dead.

6. Take pictures of your property and your serial numbers. Register your bicycle with campus.

7. Communicate with your roommate. Make sure you know where your roommate is going. The more people can look out for each other, the less the crime can occur.

8. Any time you're walking on campus, make sure you stay in a well-lit area or stay with someone. You could always call the Safety Escort. Also, we’ve been pushing the Guardian App, which can help you in different situations.

9. No matter where you’re at, if you see something, say something. Especially if it’s suspicious people on campus or you’ve witnessed some sort of crime.

How can you stay safe once you’ve moved off campus?

Living off campus is just like living in any city, you have to be cautious. Be very cautious with keeping your door locked. Make sure that people who are in your house are supposed to be there.

What advice do you have for nervous parents?

Make sure you like and follow us on social media so you can feel better connected with the local law enforcement that will be serving your children on the IU campus and know the services we offer.

You can know those phone numbers and have your child know those. Parents should communicate with their children, so they can talk through certain situations with their children or monitor what their child needs while they are away at school. I want parents to know that we are there to help.