crime & courts

Man and woman arrested for using fake $100 bills at Wendy’s, T.J. Maxx

Police arrested two people Friday for attempting to use counterfeit $100 bills at Wendy’s and T.J. Maxx.

A Wendy’s manager at the restaurant’s 3285 W. Jacobs Drive location called police around 10:17 a.m. to report a counterfeit $100 bill, said Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Shane Rasche. The manager told police a woman driving a red Volkswagen had tried to pay for her and two other people’s food with the bill.

The manager realized the bill was fake and told the woman, who then drove away.

At around 11:11 a.m., officers responded to a report of a man using two counterfeit $100 bills at the T.J. Maxx at 160 N. Gates Drive. Police noticed a vehicle with three people in it matching the description of the one at Wendy’s in the parking lot, Rasche said.

Officers approached the car and talked with the driver, 38-year-old Abigail Whitehorn, Rasche said. Whitehorn told police she had been at Wendy’s and didn’t realize the $100 bill she tried to use was fake. She claimed to have found it on the ground.

Police identified one of the passengers in the car, 40-year-old Terrance Guise, as the man who attempted to use the bills in T.J. Maxx. Guise told police the group went to T.J. Maxx earlier that day and then had gone to Wendy’s before deciding to return some items to the store.

Whitehorn then told police Guise had given her the $100 to use at Wendy’s. Police informed her that her new statement about the event did not match her original statement. Whitehorn then admitted to knowing the bill was not real.

Guise and Whitehorn were each arrested on forgery charges. The third occupant of the car was not arrested, Rasche said.