sports   |   women's soccer

Women's soccer adds two incoming freshmen

soccerfiller

Erwin van Bennekom has been named the new head coach of the IU women's soccer program.  Matt Begala Buy Photos

IU women’s soccer Coach Erwin van Bennekom will begin his first season with the Hoosiers this fall, and on Wednesday, the first-year coach signed some of his first recruits for the 2019 campaign.

Lily Davis is a defender from San Diego. Davis played for the San Diego Surf in the Development Academy and also played two seasons with Canyon Crest Academy.

With Canyon Crest, Davis led the team in goals and assists, which earned her All-League Honors her sophomore year.

The next recruit is Chloe Briede, a goalkeeper from Alpharetta, Georgia. Briede attended Milton High School but did most her soccer damage for Tophat Soccer Club, a soccer association based in Atlanta.

With Tophat, she helped lead her team to a Southeast Region title to go along with a final four finish in nationals. Briede’s father, Dave, was a member of the IU baseball team in 1983.

The Hoosiers finished 8-8-2 and 4-7 in the Big Ten last year under former Head Coach Amy Berbary and failed to qualify for the Big Ten Tournament.

IU begins the 2019 regular season at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 22 against the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

More in Sports