sports golf

IU women’s golf places 15th in Clemson Invitational

Then-senior Ana Sanjuan tees off during the first round of the April 2017 IU Invitational at IU Golf Course. The IU women's golf team placed seventh at the Coeur d’Alene Resort Collegiate Invitational in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, on Sept. 26, 2017.

The IU women’s golf team looked to move up the leaderboard Tuesday in the final round of the Clemson Invitational.

Inclement weather prevented the Hoosiers from doing so.

The final round of the event was canceled,and all team scores reverted back to where they were at the end of round two.

“It’s unfortunate that the tournament got canceled,” IU Head Coach Clint Wallman said. “We definitely gave ourselves an opportunity to position ourselves well.”

IU ultimately finished in 15th place, and finished the week at nine shots over par. Vanderbilt University won the tournament by shooting 21-under par as a team.

Freshman Alexis Miestowski and sophomore Priscilla Schmid led the way for IU with total scores of 2-over par each, leaving them in a tie for 41st on the individual leaderboard.

After struggling in round one, Miestowski carded a 5-under par 67 in round two, with eight birdies in her round. Her second round 67 tied for the second-best 18-hole score in IU women’s golf history.

IU will practice lightly Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Lady Boilermaker Classic, Wallman said.

By playing competitively for back-to-back weeks, IU will hope to get into a groove by the time the Big Ten Championship comes around April 19.

“Getting into a rhythm of playing competitively is a big deal heading into the conference championship,” Wallman said. “I looked at this week as a shake out and at next week as a final tune up to the conference championship.”