arts iu cinema theater

IU Cinema to stream British production ‘Antony and Cleopatra’ next week

entcleopatrabrief042219.png

IU Cinema will stream the play “Antony and Cleopatra” from the United Kingdom at 4 p.m. Sunday April 28.

The event is part of the National Live Theatre series, the National Theatre’s project to broadcast British theater from London to cinemas around the world. Previously, National Theatre Live has broadcasted “King Lear” and the comedy “Young Marx.”

Shakespeare’s “Antony and Cleopatra” follows Roman General Mark Antony and Egyptian Queen Cleopatra’s relationship following the assassination of Caesar and their struggles between love and duty. It follows the events of another Shakespeare play, “Julius Caesar.”

The play is known for having one of Shakespeare’s most complex and fully developed female characters in Cleopatra.

This production of the play is directed by Simon Godwin, who frequently directs Shakespeare plays. Sophie Okonedo and Ralph Fiennes play Cleopatra and Antony, respectively.

“Fiennes and Okonedo are dazzling as the star-crossed lovers,” according to a review on A Film Life website. “The play’s contemporary setting has enabled the costume designer, Evie Gurney, to go to town with Cleopatra’s gowns, imagining her as a modern-day femme fatale in the vein of a Beyoncé or a Princess Diana, and the resulting couture costumes are rich and sumptuous.”

Tickets are $12 for IU students and $15 for non-students.Tickets can be purchased online or at the door.