politics

Holcomb passes law Wednesday further restricting abortion rights

statehouse-filler.jpg

Gov. Eric Holcomb’s office announced a new law prohibiting a method of abortion used during the second trimester.

The legislation prohibits dilation and evacuation abortion, a method used most frequently between 13 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. The method is by far most common method for completing an abortion in the second trimester, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

The law makes an exception for women who could suffer "substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function."

The bill passed the Senate by a 38-10 vote and the House by a 71-25 vote before it was signed into law this week by Holcomb. It goes into effect July 1.

Both the American Civil Liberties Union and its Indiana branch filed a lawsuit against the new legislation Thursday.

An ACLU press release said the law will result in women undergoing dangerous and unnecessary medical procedures or choosing to remain pregnant against their will. It said abortions in the second trimester would primarily be limited to induction abortions done with medication, which the ACLU said is more expensive and less safe.

Rep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington, said he doesn't think the law will make it past federal court.

Pierce said every year, Indiana representatives sign abortion bills designed to burden women, but that they always get blocked by protections to abortion rights provided by Roe v. Wade. He said the cycle continues because representatives are failing to find common ground.

“Nothing is getting accomplished,” he said.