student life

A history of IU's April Fools' Twitter jokes

caIUfools040119.jpg

IU has a history of using social media to prank students and staff alike for April Fools’ Day. University spokesperson Chuck Carney said it’s a way for students to smile on this happy day.

2019

This year's April Fools’ Day prank is claiming the Sample Gates are locked, and only a Crimson Card can unlock them. The Bloomington campus' Twitter account jokingly reminds students to always bring their ID card with them.

2018

WIUX tweeted many students were protesting after IU President Michael McRobbie declared spaghetti IU’s new official noodle. IU-Bloomington responded to the tweet, calling it absurd, because “any Hoosier can tell you that macaroni is the official noodle.”

2017

IU thought student spirit was lacking in 2017, so it enlisted the Singing Hoosiers to help up morale. They gave an impromptu mini concert on an IU bus to a captive audience.

2016

In 2016, campus' official Twitter account announced the arrival of nap pods to Bloomington and Indiana University Purdue University-Indianapolis.

2015

For April Fools’ Day in 2015, @IUBloomington decided to tweet a series of claims, asking if they were true or not. Some of the highlights include the origins of the Frangipani Room’s name and if B in Herman B Wells stands for bae.

2014

Squirrels took over the @IUBloomington Twitter page in 2014, asking students to tweet at them.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the announcement of "MythBusters" co-host Jamie Hyneman as the 2016 commencement speaker was an April Fools' Day joke. The IDS regrets this error.