Instant Recap: IU men's basketball defeats Saint Francis in first round of NIT

iubb-bigten-6.jpg

* FINAL: IU defeats Saint Francis 89-72.

Hoosiers got a scare in the first half and trailed by six points at the break, but behind 28 points from Juwan Morgan and a career-best 22 points from Al Durham, they advance.

IU will play the winner of Providence College and the University of Arkansas in round two of the NIT at Assembly Hall.

* Under-4 timeout (2:52 to go in the game) IU leads St. Francis 81-65.

Major second half adjustments from IU on the offensive end will result in a victory that looks nice on the scoreboard, but much more diffuclt in person.

Al Durham now has a career-best 19 points with a few minutes still to go.

* Under-8 timeout (7:50 to go in the game) IU leads St. Francis 66-55.

IU remains in control of the contest as the second half continues. Three Hoosiers are now in double-digits led by Juwan Morgan with 18.

* Under-12 timeout (11:30 to go in the game) IU leads St. Francis 56-49.

Hoosirs have done a good job of stabilizing the game and keeping the Red Flash at an arm's length away.

IU has made six of its last seven shots.

* Under-16 timeout (15:00 to go in the game) IU leads St. Francis 50-45.

The Hoosiers have responded well to start the second half, going on a 16-5 run to open the new period.

Juwan Morgan has been the catalyst for this, scoring six points by himself.

Hoosiers look engaged and invovled in the game for the first real time tonight. St. Francis beginning to settle for a few more outside shots and Jamaal King has no points in the second half after scoring 16 points in the first half.

* HALFTIME: Saint Francis leads IU 40-34.

The upset is on the cards in Bloomignton, as the Red Flash lead the Hoosiers at halftime.

Archie Miller received a technical foul just before halftime, as Rob Phinisee didn't get the foul call at one end while Saint Francis received and made two free throws just before the break.

IU is shooting 14-35 from the field and is losing the rebounding battle, 26-21, at the break.

Devonte Green leads IU with nine points.

Jamaal King has exploded for 16 points for for the Red Flash to lead all scorers, but the visitors are playing with more heart and energy at the moment.

Very loud boos followed both the IU team and the game officials as they departed for halftime.

* Under-4 timeout (3:22 to go in the half) St. Francis leads IU 30-27.

The St. Francis University Red Flash lead IU by three points late in the first half. IU has gone cold from the field, missing an abnormal number of layups.

That being said, the visitors have outhustled IU to a number of rebounds. SFU with a 21-17 rebounding advantage.

* Under-8 timeout (7:42 to go in the half) IU leads St. Francis 22-20.

Red Flash have gone on a 7-0 run in 80 seconds. No points in the last 2:31 for Archie Miller's team, which is only 9-23 from the field.

* Under-12 timeout (10:33 to go in the half) IU leads St. Francis 20-13.

That earlier IU run was extended to a 14-0 scoring spurt before the Red Flash got back on the scoreboard.

Juwan Morgan leads IU with seven points.

* Under-16 timeout (15:37 to go in the half) IU leads St. Francis 11-7

The Red Flash began the game on a 7-2 run, but after an IU timeout the Hoosiers have gone on a 9-0 run.

Al Durham and Devonte Green with a pair of 3-pointers early on for IU.

* IU wins the opening tip.

* Here are the starting lineups for both teams.

* Race Thompson is also not playing for IU tonight due to an illness.

* The big news prior to tonight's game is that IU freshman guard Romeo Langford will not play. Langford injured his back in the Big Ten Tournament loss to Ohio State, and has not been able to practice recently accoridng to IU Coach Archie Miller. As such, Langford is in street clothes for the game, and ahead of his looming departure for the NBA Draft, he may not play again for IU if the Hoosiers lose.

* Hello and welcome to tonight's live updates page for the IU men's basketball game against Saint Francis University. Tonight's game marks the first round of the NIT, as the No. 1 seed Hoosiers play the No. 8 seed Red Flash.