sports golf

IU men's golf team finishes 9th in match play season opener

spiumgrecap21019.jpg

The IU men’s golf team finished in a tie for ninth place this weekend at Howey-In-The-Hills, Florida in the Mission Inn Spectacular. 

The Hoosiers finished a combined 25 over par in the field of 18 teams. The team had a combined score of -10 on par 5 holes, hitting a combined 162 pars. The team’s top finisher, sophomore Ethan Shepherd, was tied for 17th with a 2 over-par combined score over the three rounds of play.

Going down the tournament standings, freshman Mitch Davis also finished in the top 25 of players at tied for 21st. He shot up 14 spots in the last round of play, hitting his best score of the tournament with 71, one under-par.

Senior Jake Brown was the next best finish at tied for 32nd. The co-captain also hit the second most pars at the tournament with 39. After Brown, the next best player was junior Evan Gaesser at tied for 57th. Gaesser was competing as an individual for the Hoosiers and did not contribute to the teams overall score in the event.

Next came junior Brock Ochsenreiter, who finished tied for 73rd with a combined score of 14 over-par in the three rounds of play. The last of the team golfers for IU was freshman Harry Reynolds. The underclassmen also finished tied for 73rd with a combined score of 14 over-par.

The last of the individual competitors for the Hoosiers were senior Trevor Ranton and sophomore Evan Yakubov. They finished tied for 99th and 106th, respectively. 

The Hoosiers next competition will be the Redhawk Invitational on April 1 and 2 in University Place, Washington.