crime & courts

BPD and IUPD offer tips to protect yourself and your home during spring break

calockyourstuff030319

As students think about finishing midterms, packing and getting out of town for some much-needed rest and relaxation, Bloomington Police Department Lt. Ryan Pedigo and IU Police Department Capt. Craig Munroe have some tips for students preparing to leave Bloomington for an extended period of time.

Protecting your home

1. Lock your doors. It seems obvious, but if you are rushing, it could be easily overlooked. Also make sure your windows are locked. 
  2. Put your lights on a timer so it looks like someone is there. You can buy one at Target for $5.19. If you can’t buy a timer, leave a light on that doesn’t get hot.
  3. If your neighbors are staying, tell them to keep an eye out for unusual activity. 
  4. Close your curtains so your valuables are not easily seen. 
  5. Unplug electronics. It will save power and keep them from short circuiting. 
  6. If you live in a dorm and have a bike, you are allowed to bring the bike into your room and leave it there while you’re gone. 
  7. If you leave your car, make sure to leave it somewhere well-lit and make sure its doors are locked and windows are rolled up. 
  8. Do not post on social media that you are leaving or how long you will be gone. 

Protecting yourself

1. Be wary when using apps like Tinder to meet up with people. 
  2. Don’t go anywhere by yourself.
  3. Don’t drink too much so you can stay alert to bad situations.  
  4. If you do drink, have someone in your group stay sober so they can take care of others.