arts   |   exhibits

Art exhibit “Things to Paint in the Fourth Dimension” opens this week

entnoisebrief032419-copy

A new art exhibit, “Things to Paint in the Fourth Dimension,” will open this week at the art venue Noise Gallery. The opening reception for the exhibit will take place at 8 p.m. March 29. Courtesy Photo Buy Photos

A new art exhibit, “Things to Paint in the Fourth Dimension,” will open this week ata converted garage space-turned-art venue Noise Gallery.

The opening reception for the exhibit will take place at 8 p.m. March 29 at the gallery, which is located at 605 N. Fairview St. The exhibit will showcase new portraiture and comics from local artist Elliot Clausen, who received a Master of Fine Arts in painting from IU in 2017.

“When I first started painting I was intrigued to discover a space in life that wasn’t previously available to me, an area of pause where I could appreciate the architecture of my surroundings and the particularities of my circumstances,” Clausen said in his artist’s statement.

Clausen’s work for the exhibit combines patterned effects, a realistic style and impasto — a painting technique where paint is laid on the surface in thick, visible layers — to create a contradictory visual effect.

“Each technique and perspective calls the next into question,” Clausen said in his artist’s statement. “Dimensions are pushed and pulled. The components of the painting manage to both negate each other and add up to a sum greater than their parts.”

More in Arts