IU track and field closes out season at Alex Wilson Invitational

Teammates Celebrate

The Hoosiers sent a limited number of athletes to the Alex Wilson Invitational this weekend. 

The invite, hosted by the University of Notre Dame, served as IU’s final meet before the Big Ten Championships. 

Even with only a select few athletes competing, the team kept its season-long trend of personal records going, setting three this weekend.

As the lone participant for the Hoosiers in the women’s mile, sophomore Grace Walther set the team’s first personal record of the day. Her time of 4:50.75 also earned her fourth place in the event. 

The final two personal records were set in the 800-meter races. In the men’s 800-meter, freshman Jalen Royal grabbed fifth place and a personal record with a time of 1:49.65, and in the women’s race sophomore Kelly Mindak ran a 2:09.71 for her best time. 

Along with Royal and Mindak, the Hoosiers had a few other athletes compete in these two races. 

For the men, sophomore Cooper Williams topped the podium with his first place time of 1:47.24. On the women’s side, the team grabbed sixth, seventh and ninth place. Those spots were earned by junior Mallory Mulzer, junior Joely Pinkston and freshman Claire Hamilton, respectively.  

To round things out on the track, the women’s distance medley relay team took home second place. The team — consisting of senior Haley Harris, junior Kelsey Harris, sophomore Natalie Price and senior Katherine Receveur — ran a time of 10:57.76. That time earned them the sixth fastest time in the NCAA this season. 

In the field events the Hoosiers saw an array of top-five finishes from both the men and women. 

The women grabbed the top two spots in the shot put. Junior Khayla Dawson took the top honor with a distance of 17.18 meters. She was followed by sophomore Maddy Pollard who threw a distance of 16.42 meters. 

The men took home second place and third place in the event. The spots were earned by junior Willie Morrison and senior David Schall. Morrison threw a distance of 19.34 meters while Schall threw 17.75 meters. 

The Hoosiers closed things out in the weight throw. On the men’s side, they earned a second-place finish, and on the women’s side, they grabbed fourth place. Sophomore Nick Lane earned the spot for the men with a distance of 19.29 meters and freshman Alexis Hill grabbed the women’s spot with her distance of 19.46 meters. 

IU returns to action Feb. 22 and 23 for the Big Ten Championships in Ann Arbor, Michigan.