sports rowing

IU rowing set to begin season

Members of IU women rowing team row during the competition. Indiana Roawing team rank 16th after the competitive spring season on Saturday at Lake Lemon with Ohio State, Michigan , Wisconsin , Iowa , Indiana and Michigan State .

IU women’s rowing is gearing up for the 2019 spring season. The team had a successful fall where it competed in two scrimmages as well as the prestigious Head of the Charles regatta, but focus now shifts towards the spring.

Here are five matches to look forward to in the 2019 spring season.

Cardinal Invitational – March 16-17

The Hoosiers will see their first real action of the season when they travel to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, for the Cardinal Invitational.

The team takes an annual trip down to Oak Ridge for training purposes. IU will do its regularly scheduled training starting March 13 before competing in the invitational just three days later.

Big Ten/Ivy League Double Dual – March 30

IU will take on Ivy League opponents Harvard University and Yale University in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Yale finished ahead of IU at last year’s NCAA Championships, while Michigan bested both teams in the event.

The last win for the IU women in a double dual was back in 2017 against Rutgers.

Big Ten Double Dual – April 13

Just two weeks later, IU will compete against Minnesota and Wisconsin in Iowa City, Iowa. IU is going against both schools for the first time since beating Minnesota and losing to Wisconsin in a double dual back in 2016.

IU scrimmaged against Wisconsin and Iowa a few months ago up in Madison, Wisconsin.

Dale England Cup – April 20

The annual event held in Bloomington will see IU face off against Michigan State and the University of Notre Dame. Michigan State has not lost to IU since April 2015.

It was last year’s Dale England Cup, where IU finished first over the Irish, as well as Duke University and the University of Pennsylvania.

IU will be looking for its third straight Dale England Cup on April 20.

Longhorn Invite – April 27

In its last event before the Big Ten Championships, IU will square off against a plethora of schools: Iowa, Notre Dame, the University of Oklahoma, Oregon State University, the University of Southern California, the University of Virginia and the University of Texas. This will be IU's first trip to Austin, Texas.

The team will see some familiar foes in Iowa and Notre Dame, but IU's experience with the other schools is minimal. The team last saw Texas and Virginia at the NCAA Championships, where they placed third and fifth, respectively.

IU will be looking for a strong finish heading into the Big Ten and NCAA Championships in May.