business & economy

Downtown Bloomington cafe Blu Boy offers homemade Valentine’s Day chocolates

cabluboy020519

Valentine’s Day may be overrated, but chocolate is not.

Blu Boy Chocolate Cafe and Cakery, located next to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on Kirkwood Avenue, offers homemade chocolates and pastries to Bloomington customers year-round along with sweets exclusive to Valentine’s Day. They also have items such as specialty drinks, cakes, pies and build-your-own chocolate boxes.

Owner David Fletcher said Blu Boy is preparing for large crowds as Valentine’s Day approaches.

Blu Boy's Valentine’s Day chocolates include a strawberry-and-champagne flavored chocolate and purple heart-shaped chocolate blended with the same fruity jam used in one of Upland Brewery’s sour ales. The chocolate can be purchased at Blu Boy or the Upland Wood Shop.

The shop is preparing for an influx of date nights by offering specialty desserts in the evenings, Fletcher said. Treats include salted caramel chocolate tarts and large macaroons.

Fletcher said his favorite part of the season is helping customers build their own boxes of chocolate. He said Blu Boy provides a lot of expertise to customers who don’t know what to get for their significant other.

“We enjoy being a part of the gift-giving process,” Fletcher said. “We want to make the season special for everyone.”

Blu Boy makes all of its chocolate from scratch and without preservatives, Fletcher said. He said the shop gets most of its business during holidays and while events are going on at the Buskirk-Chumley.

Barista and IU junior Connor Patrick said chocolate flavors and designs at Blu Boy change for the seasons. He said he’s looking forward this Valentine’s Day to Blu Boy's True Love’s Kiss chocolate, which he said is extremely hot and spicy.

Patrick said he enjoys working at Blu Boy during Valentine’s Day because he likes building relationships with customers while they shop for someone special.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated heart-shaped chocolates would be available for purchase at Upland. It should have said the chocolates will be sold at the Upland Wood Shop. The IDS regrets this error.