sports track & field

Athletes to watch for IU track and field

Haley Harris

With plenty of returning individual Big Ten Champions and NCAA Championship participants, there is an array of athletes to watch out for this season on the IU track and field team. 

As a team, the Hoosiers saw top-five finishes at the Big Ten Championships during both the indoor and outdoor season last year. At the indoor championships, both the men and women’s teams grabbed third place, and at the outdoor, the men took home second while the women grabbed fourth. 

This season they’ll look to improve on that mark. These six athletes are going to play a big role in making that happen. 

Women’s:

Maggie Allen — Senior

Allen, one of the team’s best distance runners, will look to improve on a season in which she saw high finishes at both the indoor and outdoor Big Ten Championships. 

Allen competed in two events, the 3,000-meter and 5,000-meter, at last season’s Indoor Big Ten Championships. She finished in fourth and sixth place, respectively. 

In the outdoor portion of the season, Allen also competed in two events at the Big Ten Championships — the 10,000-meter and the 5,000-meter. She crossed the finish line in third place at both races. 

After racing in the in the NCAA prelims and finishing fourth, Allen advanced to the NCAA Championships in the 10,000-meter.

Haley Harris — Senior

Another skilled distance runner for the Hoosiers, Harris saw good finishes at the Big Ten Championships and raced in the NCAA Championships last season. 

The indoor Big Ten Championships saw Harris compete in the mile, where she took fifth place. 

She was also a part of the distance medley relay team which took fourth place at the NCAA Championships. 

On the outdoor side, she grabbed seventh place in the steeplechase, as well as a top-ten finish in the 1,500-meter at the Big Ten Championships. 

Her top-ten finish earned her a spot in the 1,500-meter at the NCAA Championships where she finished in 24th place.

Kelsey Harris — Junior

Harris finished her indoor season by taking fourth place as part of the 4x400-meter relay team at the NCAA Championships. 

Prior to that, she was the runner-up at the Big Ten Championships in the same event.

In the other meets throughout the season, she took home multiple first-place finishes in events such as the 600-meter, 800-meter and 1,000-meter. 

She capped off her outdoor campaign by advancing all the way to the NCAA quarterfinals after running a personal best time of 2:03.89.

Men’s

Adam Coulon — Junior

Coulon is the team’s best pole vaulter, proven by his success last season. 

In the indoor season, he finished second place at the Big Ten Championships. 

He concluded the outdoor season with a fifth-place finish at the Big Ten and then a top-ten finish at the NCAA Championships. His height of 5.45 meters at the NCAA Championships was also his personal best. 

Kyle Mau — Junior

Mau saw almost all of his success in the indoor portion of last season.

He took home a first-place finish in the mile at the Big Ten Championships as well as a 14th-place finish in the 3,000-meter at the NCAA Championships. 

Mau also saw plenty of success as a member of the distance medley relay team. The team set the stadium record at the Power Invitational last season as well as earning a seventh-place finish at the NCAA Championships. To start off this season, Mau and the team have continued their success by setting a new school record in the event. 

William Session — Junior

Session is a master of all trades for the Hoosiers, evident by the nine events that he competed in at last season’s outdoor Big Ten Championships. 

The most notable of the nine was the 110-meter hurdles where he qualified for the NCAA Championships. 

For his efforts at the championships, he earned the Big Ten Outstanding Sportsmanship award as well as All-Big Ten Second Team honors.