Instant Recap: IU men's basketball suffers road loss to Purdue

iubb-northwestern.JPG

* FINAL: Purdue defeats IU 70-55.

The Hoosiers lose their fourth-straight game and it wasn't very close. Purdue pulled away in the second half as Justin Smith and Juwan Morgan couldn't continue their first-half scoring exploits, while Romeo Langford and Rob Phinisee both never settled into rhythm on offense.

IU is now 12-6 overall, with a 3-4 conference record and plays at Northwestern on Tuesday night. 

* Under-4 timeout (3:19 left in the game) Purdue leads IU 62-48.

Zach McRoberts has made his first shot since last November for IU and Juwan Morgan will be shooting free throws shortly.

That being said, some Purdue fans are heading for the exits as this win looks secure for the Boilermakers.

* Under-8 timeout (7:45 left in the game) Purdue leads IU 58-42.

Offense still is hard to come by for the Hoosiers, as Morgan and Smith have combined for 24 points, but no other IU player has more than six.

Seven different Boilermakers have scored today.

Still no Jake Forrester or Evan Fitzner for IU, while De'Ron Davis looks hobbled on the court.

* Under-12 timeout (11:10 left in the game) Purdue leads IU 53-39.

Romeo Langford and Rob Phinisee continue to struggle on offense while Juwan Morgan has had a tough time in the second half dealing with Matt Haarms.

Carsen Edwards up to 16 points for the Boilermakers. 

* Under-16 timeout (15:34 left in the game) Purdue leads IU 44-32.

The Boilermakers had grown the lead to 13 points, their largest of the game, during the first four minutes of the second half.

Ryan Cline has hit a pair of three-pointers to help Purdue pull away.

* HALFTIME: Purdue leads IU 33-26.

It was a first half of highs and lows for the Hoosiers, but after fighting back and going back and forth with the lead, Purdue took control toward the end of the half.

Romeo Langford contributed next to nothing in the first half for IU. His final end of half statistical line was 0 points, 2 fouls and 3 turnovers in 6 minutes played. Fellow guard Al Durham is also without a bucket for the Hoosiers.

The lion's share of the scoring has been from IU's forwards, Justin Smith and Juwan Morgan, who each have nine points.

The defense on Purdue star guard Carsen Edwards has been satisfactory, as Zach McRoberts and Rob Phinisee have combined to limit Edwards to 3 of 9 shooting from the field, including 0 of 4 from three-point range.

Foul trouble was a bit of a concern for Archie Miller in the first half, as Langford, Phinisee and Damezi Anderson all had two fouls.

Free-throw shooting has also benefitted Purdue, as the Boilermakers are 6 of 7 from the foul line compared to IU's 1 of 5 performance inside a very noisy Mackey Arena.

* Under-8 timeout (7:42 left in the first half) Purdue leads IU 19-18.

The Hoosiers briefly had their first lead of the game courtesy of Rob Phinisee, who scored six points in 30 seconds to lift the Hoosiers in front. But some back and forth has ensued since then and the Boilermakers are back in front.

A trio of IU players now have two fouls — Damezi Anderson, Rob Phinisee and Romeo Langford.

* Under-12 timeout (11:52 left in the first half) Purdue leads IU 13-10.

A really solid start from sophomore forward Justin Smith to this game, as he is a perfect 3-3 from the field with seven points and two rebounds.

Damezi Anderson has entered the game for IU and Purdue went straight after him on offense, drawing a pair of free throws which will take place after this timeout.

Langford still sitting with two fouls.

* Under-16 timeout (15:53 left in the first half) Purdue leads IU 8-2.

It's been a bit of a disastrous start from the Hoosiers.

Romeo Langford is on the bench with two fouls, and Rob Phinisee has missed each of his two three-point shot attempts.

Carsen Edwards leads all scorers with four points, via a layup and jump shot.

* The opening tipoff is won by Purdue and off we go from West Lafayette. 

* Here are the listed starting lineups for today's game. 

* Before the game, Miller said sophomore guard Al Durham is available to play in today's game. 

* Head Coach Archie Miller is also still looking for his first win with IU against Purdue after losing last season's lone meeting.

* Purdue has won three of its last four games, giving it a 4-2 conference record, while IU is 3-3 in Big Ten Conference games.

* The Hoosiers have not won in West Lafayette, Indiana, since 2013, and this afternoon's game provides an opportunity for IU to not only break that streak, but also its current three-game losing streak.

* Hello and welcome to today's live updates page for the IU men's basketball team's game at Purdue.