sports   |   men's soccer

IU's Rennicks signs homegrown contract with New England Revolution

iums-vs-notre-dame-4

Sophomore midfielder Justin Rennicks high fives a supporter after IU's game against Notre Dame during the quarterfinal of the NCAA Tournament game Nov. 30 at Bill Armstrong Stadium.  Matt Begala Buy Photos

The fifth Hoosier in program history to sign a homegrown contract made the deal official on Friday afternoon.

Sophomore midfielder Justin Rennicks signed a deal with the New England Revolution, foregoing his final two seasons of eligibility. Before Rennicks played at IU, he spent the previous five years in the Revolution Academy.

“Justin has a bright future ahead as he begins his professional career with the New England Revolution in MLS,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in an IU Athletics press release. “He played an important role in our success during his time at Indiana. His athletic qualities are special, and we wish him all the best as he continues on his soccer journey.”

With eight seniors graduating, Rennicks joins sophomore goalkeeper Trey Muse and midfielder Griffin Dorsey to make it 10 out of 11 starters not returning for the Hoosiers in 2019. 

Last season, Rennicks was named to the second team All-Big Ten, first team All-North Region and the College Cup All-Tournament Team. He scored six goals and had one assist lastseason, including three game-winning goals.

Rennicks also spent time with the U.S. U-20 National Team back in November. In eight appearances, he scored four goals to go with five assists.

“I want to thank Coach Yeagley and the entire IU coaching staff for the experience and the part they all played in my development over the last two years,” Rennicks said in an IU Athletics press release. “I am proud to be a part of arguably the greatest college soccer program on Earth and will forever be grateful for how it has impacted my life. I’m happy to be a Hoosier for life.”

More in Sports