sports wrestling

IU wrestling faces off with Ohio State on Friday

IU Big Ten Wrestling

Big Ten action resumes for IU wrestling Friday night, as the Hoosiers take on Ohio State in Bloomington. 

With only one competition under their belts in the last month, the No. 2 Buckeyes head to IU territory well-rested.

Ohio State head coach Tom Ryan's team has finished as the national runner-up to Penn State the last two seasons. 

Led by three-time All-American Myles Martin, the Buckeyes already have wins in dual competition against North Carolina State University and University of Wisconsin, while IU is still hunting for its first conference win of the season. 

The Hoosiers enter Friday after picking up their first win over a ranked opponent since 2017 when they defeated the University of North Carolina at the South Beach Duals in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, on Dec. 29, 2018. 

IU head coach Angel Escobedo is hoping the momentum from the UNC win will help carry the team into this weekend. 

“It’s a step in the right direction to be competing with the best programs in the country,” Escobedo said. “If we focus on getting out there and being competitive, everything else will sort itself out.” 

Escobedo said the best teams in the country are the most in shape and that he doesn't want the Hoosiers losing matchups because they’re tired faster than their opponents.

Friday marks the start of a long home stand for IU. With five of the next six competitions in Bloomington, Escobedo sees an opportunity to spend the extra time normally reserved for travel to work on the Hoosiers' hand skills and conditioning.

IU hits the mats with Ohio State at 7 p.m. Friday. It will be IU’s last competition at the University Gymnasium before moving into the new Wilkinson Hall on Sunday.