sports track & field

IU track and field closes Gladstein Invitational on Saturday

IU vs TEN

The IU track and field team showed just how multi-faceted they are in this weekend’s Gladstein Invitational. 

With many athletes competing in events they aren’t typically a part of, the Hoosiers still managed to take home first place finishes, set personal records and even set a national best mark.

One of the biggest lineup changes of the weekend was sophomore Cooper Williams. The NCAA leader in the 800-meter instead competed in both the 400-meter and the 600-meter. The change of events didn’t seem to bother him as his time of 48.39 seconds in the 400-meter fast section earned him first place. He also grabbed both first place and a personal record in the 600-meter fast section with his time of 1:17.63.

Following Williams in the 400-meter was senior Derek Grimmer who finished second with a time of 48.44. 

Other first-place finishes for the men in the track events were redshirt freshman Aaron Bennett in the 600-meter with a time of 1:21.23 and senior Daniel Michalski in the 3000-meter fast section. Michalski’s time of 8:06.21 is the fastest in the NCAA this season.

For the women, sophomore Natalie Price completed the event sweep for the Hoosiers as she nabbed first in the 400-meter fast section with a time of 54.04 seconds — her fastest this season.

Sister’s junior Kelsey Harris and senior Haley Harris also swept first place in the two 600-meter events. Haley finished with a time of 1:31.93 in the 600-meter, while Kelsey notched a time of 1:30.44 in the 600-meter fast section. Kelsey’s time also set a personal record. 

Before the event, IU Head Coach Ron Helmer said to watch out for redshirt senior Katherine Receveur. He was right.

Receveur finished in first place in the mile fast section with a time of 4:50.55. This was her first event of the indoor season. 

To finish off the track events for the women, freshman Hope Purcell snagged second place in the 60-meter hurdles. Her time of 8.74 seconds was another personal record for the Hoosiers. 

IU also earned solid finishes in the field side of the meet.

Sophomore Nick Lane started things off on a good note Friday for the Hoosiers by taking first place in the opening event of the invitational, the weight throw.

Senior Eric Bethea finished first in the triple jump with a distance of 15.67 meters and sophomore Jyles Etienne topped the podium with a height of 2.13 meters in the high jump.

Junior Khayla Dawson and redshirt sophomore Princess Brinkley both finished first in their respective events as well, the shot put and the weight throw. Brinkley’s distance of 20.50 meters was the final personal record for the Hoosiers. 

A group that Helmer spoke highly of prior to the meet was the pole-vaulters. They didn’t let him down, taking first and second on the men’s and women’s sides respectively.

Junior Adam Coulon jumped a height of 5.30 meters for the men and sophomore Anna Watson with a height of 4.00 meters for the women.

To close out the invitational the Hoosiers swept both the 4x400 and 4x800 relays taking first place on both the men’s and women’s sides.  

The Hoosiers return to action Jan. 25 when they host the Indiana University Relays inside Gladstein Fieldhouse. The event is slated to begin at 5 p.m.