IU men's tennis sweeps Toledo and Ball State to start 2-0

IU Men's Tennis 1/13/19

The IU men’s tennis team began its season 2-0 Sunday afternoon in Bloomington after sweeping both Ball State University and the University of Toledo 7-0, respectively. 

This was the first match of the year for IU.

IU beat Ball State in the morning and proceeded to dominate Toledo in the afternoon. This marked the first time the Hoosiers and Rockets have faced off since 2015, a 4-1 win for IU. 

While this was the first day of meets for IU, Toledo took on Purdue on Saturday afternoon. They fared slightly better against the Boilermakers, scoring one point, but still fell 6-1 in West Lafayette, Indiana. 

IU was able to defeat Toledo in all six singles matches and all three doubles matches. 

Leading the way was sophomore Bennett Crane, the 96th-ranked player in the country, according to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. Crane defeated sophomore Danilo Vukotic of Toledo 6-3, 7-5. 

The other ranked player for the Hoosiers, sophomore Zac Brodney, No. 110, followed Crane's performance in a dominating, 6-0,6-1 win over senior Vince Anzalone.

With the win Sunday, IU extended its series lead to 7-0 over Toledo since 2005. 

After the 2-0 start to the season, IU will next travel to Hanover, New Hampshire, to take on Dartmouth University on Jan. 20.