politics

Holcomb discusses DCS, hate crimes in State of the State address

IMG_9685.JPG

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb gave his third State of the State address Tuesday night at the Indiana Statehouse, talking about topics such as the Department of Child Services, the opioid crisis and a hate crimes law.

Holcomb described what he saw as his administration’s achievements in the past year and outlined plans for 2019. Here are six points he talked about in his remarks.

DCS

The Department of Child Services raised caseworkers’ salaries and worked to improve workforce culture, Holcomb said. Fewer children return to the system once their case has been closed.

"A year ago we had just started a top-to-bottom review of DCS," Holcomb said. "Now, we are moving full speed ahead on addressing all those 20 recommendations that not only protect children but recognize the difficult work of those who protect them."

Teacher pay

Holcomb requested $432 million in additional funding for K-12 education. Holcomb said he is creating the Next Level Teacher Pay Commission to search for resources which would ensure competitive teacher salaries. 

Opioid crisis

The new 2-1-1 OpenBeds program has created more than 4,000 referrals for recovery options and support groups, Holcomb said. The program connects people to these services quicker. Opioid prescriptions are down and communities are creating their own systems to help aid in recovery, Holcomb said.

Holcomb said the faster and more accurate drug data show the state still has a long way to go. He said he believes the answer to the problem lies in increased access to better treatment and larger recovery housing.

Bias crime law

Holcomb pledged to work towards passing a hate crime bill, after a synagogue in Carmel, Indiana, was vandalized. There have already been three hate crimes bills introduced in the House, and one introduced in the Senate in the 2019 legislative session. 

Holcomb said standing against targeted violence is the right decision, even if the victim is a singular person. He said he wanted to ensure judges can more severely sentence perpetrators.

“At heart, this has to do with people’s dignity and how we treat one another,” Holcomb said. “With your help, and only with your help, we can do this.”

Lowering infant mortality rates

The approved Levels of Care program ensures highest-risk infants are delivered in hospitals that can meet the needs of the babies and mothers, Holcomb said. Two more programs will also be implemented: a navigator program for high-risk pregnant women to get resources they need, and a verbal screening initiative to find and help pregnant women with substance abuse disorders.

“These are the kinds of efforts it will take to get more babies to celebrate their first birthdays, regardless of their zip codes,” Holcomb said.

Department of Correction programs

The Department of Correction started a new program to train offenders for high-demand jobs, such as welding. The program has already reached its 2020 goal of 1,000 graduates.

Holcomb introduced the Last Mile program, which provides incarcerated individuals with coding knowledge.

“Given the urgency around strengthening our workforce, we can’t afford to overlook anyone, especially those who want to earn a second chance,” Holcomb said.

Indiana Democratic Party Chairman John Zody released a critical response to Holcomb's agenda.

"While we’re glad he’s finally at the table regarding an inclusive hate crimes law, his agenda is a cautious, caretaker approach sharply out of sync with the reality Hoosier families face," Zody said in the statement. "An underfunded preschool program, the surging cost of living, stagnant wages and record opioid deaths underscore the need for big, bold ideas. It’s a little-risk, little-reward approach befitting of a shrewd politician but leadership, it is not."