bloomington

Green Drinks Bloomington to celebrate anniversary, talk environmental change

UPLAND BREWERY

IU biology professor Ellen Ketterson will speak Jan. 23 about preparing for environmental change in Indiana to celebrate Green Drinks Bloomington’s 10th anniversary of monthly environmental lectures. 

Green Drinks is an international social networking organization dedicated to environmental consciousness, and event organizer Marcia Veldman helped bring it to Bloomington a decade ago. 

“It’s a really good networking opportunity,” Veldman said. “You really learn about what’s going on in Bloomington.”

Ketterson is the director of the Environmental Resilience Institute and will present a talk titled, “Indiana’s Grand Challenge: How to Prepare for Environmental Change.” 

She will discuss the things the Institute is doing to “develop the forecasts, strategies and means of communications” to amplify resilience to environmental change, according to a press release from Green Drinks Bloomington.

Green Drinks includes a mixture of people from government, academia, nongovernmental organizations and business, according to the group's website

The lecture series takes place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of every month at the banquet facility of the Upland Brewing Company.

Veldman said the speakers give 30-minute presentations and are chosen by a committee once a year.

“In some cases, people have come to us with ideas on either topics or presentations,” Veldman said. “And sometimes we read an article by someone from Bloomington that looks like they have something that would be interesting for people to hear.” 

There is a $5 suggested donation for Green Drinks Bloomington, and some food will be provided.

“What astonishes me is the number of super interesting people in the community who are doing such good work on environmental topics,” Veldman said.