sports men's soccer

Dorsey and Buckmaster chosen in first and second rounds of MLS SuperDraft

Griffin Dorsey

Two former IU men’s soccer players were chosen in the MLS SuperDraft on Friday afternoon.

Sophomore midfielder Griffin Dorsey was selected with the No. 6 pick by Toronto FC after signing a Generation adidas contract to forego his remaining two years of eligibility with IU. Dorsey is the third Hoosier on the Toronto FC roster, joining Eriq Zavaleta and Drew Moor.

In his two seasons, Dorsey scored eight goals to go with 11 assists while also starting 23 matches as a freshman in 2017. Last season, Dorsey was named a second-team All-American by United Soccer Coaches and College Soccer News, third-team Best XI by Top Drawer Soccer, first-team All-Big Ten and first-team All-North Region.

Dorsey spent time with the U-20 USA men’s national team for the CONCACAF U-20 Championship in November 2018 but was back with IU for the Big Ten Tournament championship game.

Senior defender Rece Buckmaster was selected with the No. 32 overall pick by the New York Red Bulls after a strong performance at the MLS combine.

Despite having a strong presence in the IU backline that led the country with 15 shutouts in 2018, Buckmaster still scored four goals with three assists. Two of his goals were crucial in a 2-1 win over Northwestern in the Big Ten Tournament and a 1-0 win at No. 14 Michigan.