arts food

COLUMN: Top three Bloomington dishes that were missed over winter break

Turkuaz Cafe

Even though I love winter break, before long I always start to miss Bloomington.

The holiday break is a great time to kick back, relax and enjoy some time to yourself, but as winter break went by, I began to find myself almost reluctantly longing for the little picturesque Indiana city that has become my home away from home. I miss my cozy apartment and staying up way past midnight, having long conversations over cherry Moscato with friends.

But most importantly, I miss the food. Three dishes, in particular.

Beef Turkuaz Kebab - Turkuaz Cafe

The day before I left Bloomington, a friend and I went to Turkuaz Cafe for lunch. The day was bright, but also cold and windy, perfect for something hearty to warm the stomach and heart. After we took our shoes off and sat on the carpeted floor among pillows, I ordered my usual beef Turkuaz kebab. 

Never one to disappoint, the dish was served piping hot in a clay pot, covered by two pieces of golden, flaky bread. Inside the pot, tender chunks of beef, along with fresh vegetables and sauce are blended together to create a simple yet delicious concoction. Make use of the mixture by dipping the bread in it or soak the side of rice.

Buttermilk Pancakes - Village Deli

Yes, one of these big pancakes is really larger than my face. At the restaurant, customers may choose three items from a long list of add-ons, including strawberries, blueberries, banana, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, walnuts and granola. 

My favorite breakfast meal to order from the Deli? I enjoy washing my pancake order down with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. 

Like at Turkuaz, Village Deli's side dishes are perfect accompaniments. In addition to having regular home fries on the menu, Village Deli also offers Paxton's Potatoes, home fries covered in sausage gravy and cheddar cheese. Or, if you want to spice that up, Potatoes Part Two consists of home fries topped with cheddar, salsa and sour cream. 

Tap Fries - The Tap Brewery and Craft Beer Bar

I know I’ve written about this before. However, the sheer impressiveness of The Tap Brewery’s Tap fries deserves more than just a single mention. Right now, as I sit at home, typing away at my laptop, I am already envisioning myself sitting at the bar with a glass of Beardliner beer and a basket of fries.

Beautifully seasoned and perfectly fried, Tap fries always come with the dish’s signature four house-made dipping sauces— beer cheese, Parmesan garlic aioli, sun dried tomato pesto crema and chipotle ranch. Seriously, I can’t think of a better way to start a new semester.